2 to 6-night all-inclusive cruise to discover the hidden Upper Loire jewels
All Inclusive discovery of the Loire valley from Montargis to Chatillons-sur-Loire aboard our Barge
River trip highlights
- Crossing of the famous canal bridge over the Loire
- Discover a Natura2000 wild area and observe wildlife
- Discover the ruins of Chateau Gaillard
- Discover the Gallo-Roman period town of Briare
- Visit the impressive lock work of Rogny-les-Sept-Ecluses
- All bedrooms have air conditioning
River trip summary
From May to June, our barge sails softly on the rhythm of her unique slow turning engine through the beautiful landscape of the Upper Loire and Upper Seine region, and its beautiful nature and wild landscapes.
- The barge starts its cruises on the 1 st of May from Melun and makes its way down to Montargis (1st Week of cruise).
- Then from Montargis, its cruises down to Châtillon-sur-Loire (2nd Week of cruise).
- Then it turns around and does Châtillon-sur-Loire to Montargis (3rd week of cruising).
- Finally, it cruises from Montargis to Melun (4th week of cruising).
- With three ensuite bedrooms, cozy dining space and inviting large sundeck, you’ll feel at home away from home in our floating guesthouse.
- Spend your time in between our barge and the visit of cities, towns, and villages of the Upper Loire and Upper Seine valleys. Its a journey back in time as they have charm, character, and authenticity.
- On-board gastronomy: with an emphasis on fresh local produce, sourced each day by the chef, you can be confident of gourmet cuisine. It is also possible to cater for specific dietary requirements including organic products and gluten-free options.
- While the Loire valley is quite well known and touristy, we propose you to discover the Upper Loire region is more preserved and full of history, gastronomy, and authenticity.
Click HERE to view the owner's Terms & Conditions relating to this river cruise.
River trip description
Upper Loire: Montargis – Montbouy – Rogny-les-Sept-Ecluses – Ouzouer sur Trézée – Briare – Châtillon-sur-Loire (crossing of the famous canal bridge over the Loire).
Day 1-Sunday: Day of Arrival, Montargis town, and surroundings
- On the day of your arrival, we will pick you up at any train station or airport in Paris (1.30h drive), and drive you back to our barge moored and waiting for you in Montargis.
- Nicknamed the 'Venice of the Gâtinais' due to its network of canals, 17 bridges, and pretty waterside houses, Montargis is a lovely town to wander around.
- Visitors can also explore the town's museums: the Musée Girodet with its collections of paintings, drawings and sculptures, and the Musée du Gâtinais, which has objects dating from prehistory and the Gallo-Roman period on display.
- Those of you with a sweet tooth can savor the famous local specialty, Montargis pralines: delicious caramelized roasted almonds.
Day 2-Monday: Cruise from Montargis to Montbouy and enjoy wildlife
- We will be leaving in the morning from Montargius, and start our cruising on the Canal de Briare. This will take a few hours, while you can relax on the deck, in your cabin, while you will be served lunch while the barge is cruising down, before arrival in the early afternoon at Montboury.
- Montbouy is situated in the Loiret department and Loire Valley region (now part of the Centre-Loire Valley region), in the western-center of France at 68 kilometers from Orleans, the department capital. Don't look for too many activities, you will be in the middle of nature, perfect sport for nature observation and relaxation!
- Dinner onboard tonight will be prepared with the products from local market and producers
Day 3-Thursday: Cruise from Montbouy to Rogny-les-Sept-Ecluses and visit the locks
- Next morning, same happens, you wake up when the boat starts cruising (or whenever you want!), and the barge makes its way down the Canal de Briare, while you see beautiful landscapes passing by, and imagine the castle you will visit in the afternoon. The captain and the stewardess will be there to tell you the stories and legends of these places you will see.
- At the gates of the Puysaie, Rogny-les-Sept-Ecluses stands out due to its impressive locks. It was built in the 17th century on the Briare canal to connect the Loire and the Seine. Also discover the village, dotted with bridges and walkways, its Romanesque church and its washhouse.
Day 4-Wednesday: Cruise from Rogny-les-Sept-Ecluses to Ouzouer-sur-Trézée
- We will depart when that suits you, as all the trip is customizable to feet your inclinations. Again, we will be cruising softly, while some of you can follow the boat for some time by bike! Some sport is always nice for those who want. We will then arrive at Ouzouer-sur-Trezee, 5 km from Briard.
- At Ouzouer-sur-Trézée, you will be at the heart of the Natura2000 zone, which will allow you to observe the richness of nature in the area. You will visit farms, talk to farmers, and discover how they produce the products that you will later in the day taste. There will also be some encounters organized with craftsmen and artisans, who will share with you their know-how.
- After enjoying some cocktails on deck and listen some french music on our hi-fi system, it will be time for another culinary experience.
Day 5-Thursday: Cruise from Ouzouer-sur-Trézée to Briare
- From there, we will slowly cruise towards Briare, one of the highlights of this river trip! You will have the all morning an the lunch to relax, observe wildlife, and meditate.
- Former Brivodurum in the Gallo-Roman period, Briare really took off under Henri IV, especially during the construction of the Loyre in Seyne canal. Before becoming the tourist site that it is today, the city was illustrated in 1939 with the creation of a rural reception center for the refugees of the Spanish war.
- Today, Briare enjoys a pleasant natural setting with Natura 2000 listed areas, as well as an architectural heritage that is not without interest. Full of charm, the city of Loiret regularly attracts visitors eager to discover this part of the Center region.
Day 6-Friday: Cruise from Briare to Châtillon-sur-Loire and visit villages
- Again, your last day of cruising aboard our barge, so enjoy the quietness of the river for the last time, before we show you the last of our local towns and its wonders.
- Located in the southeastern department of Loiret, on the left bank of the Loire, Châtillom has more than 3000 inhabitants. The city is bordered by the side channel to the Loire and keeps the remains of an ancient city. It is a common friend, environment-based, where tourism has grown and river.
- On the hill, the old town will surprise you with its narrow streets, half-timbered houses, the ruins of Chateau Gaillard. Its a suburb of Nancray this interesting heritage, including winegrowers' houses on St Vincent, one of which dates back to 1604. Grande Rue, find homes, the oldest remains are from the 15th century, and other Renaissance-style church on the hill neo-Gothic St Maurice, opposite the Tourist Office, the Protestant church, the along the river to wash Etheline renovated.
- Along the Loire, Mantelot, a listed historic site in 1978 is a must that will take you to the time of the Navy's commercial channel ... The lock used to allow the boats, taking the side channel of the Loire, to make the river crossing to get on the right bank of the canal de Briare. In 1841, the construction of a suspension bridge allowed the isolation of Châtillon-sur-Loire.
Day 7-Saturday: Day of departure
- This morning, we take breakfast, discuss a bit, and slowly make our way to midday, time of your departure. This was an amazing river trip with you, and it will be a pleasure to have you back again for a new route, and new discoveries together!
- We will drop you at a train station, airport, in a 1h50 drive trip maximum. All will be set in advance of course!
River trip owner
Since 2015, we are offering bespoke cruises in the Champagne area on our ship Johanna. She was converted in 2013 from a cargo vessel to a modern and comfortable 3 bedroom cruise ship.
3 Reviews - 2 to 6-night all-inclusive cruise to discover the hidden Upper Loire jewels
Cathy - the United States
The PERFECT trip
What can we say other than "this was the PERFECT trip"! We enjoyed ourselves tremendously, from the first to the last. The barge is perfect with every detail well thought out. The meals were five star. We felt completely comfortable and at home this last week aboard the Johanna and will always have great, fond memories of our trip and both of you (and Yara!). Thank you so much,
Frank - the United States
Thanks for the memories
Thank you both for being such amazing hosts! I was amazed how modernly maritime the barge is furnished! The rooms had everything I needed to feel at home. The food was phenomenal! Delicious 3-course cuisine comprised of the freshest local ingredients, crafted by a par of world-class chefs. This was my first time ever in Europe, and I'm convinced there is no better way to tour. Will be looking to you both for future adventures into other countries. Thanks for the memories.
Cindy - the United States
This has been perfect!
Many thank you's for the beautiful boat, for Patsie's food and knowledge of for Patsie's exercise advise and most of all for providing a great place for Dick's 80th birthday and Susie's birthday also for your companionship + camaraderie. This has been perfect!