4 to 6-night all-inclusive wine tasting cruise through the Burgundy vineyards and villages
Luxury Barge Cruise for guests who enjoy cruising, wine tasting, historical tours, and gastronomy! Cruise from Fleurey-sur-Ouche to Escommes
River trip highlights
- In the heart of one of France's top wine regions
- Luxury comfort onboard while visiting the region
- Top chef cooking every day for you and 24/7 service
- Top owners who know the region since 35 years
- Owners are experienced wine tour guides
- Onboard wine ceiling, modern tech equipment and 24/7
River trip summary
- Burgundy - Dijon - France
- Only 1h45minutes Paris to Dijon on the express train.
- Pick up and drop off at the Dijon train station.
OUR BARGE OFFER TWO OPTIONS;
- Each day there is either a morning or an afternoon cruise, cruising on the Burgundy Canal with options of a reserved private wine tasting in a nearby famous wine village, visit the Dijon market, visit the Unesco Burgundian wine slopes, the famous wine town of Beaune, its Abbey, the Medieval Chateaux and an invitation out to 2 Michelin restaurants
- Whilst cruising it is possible to cycle or walk; the speed of the barge is maximum 5 - 6kms per hour!
Cruise 1: A 6-night/7-day Cruise for 2-6 guests maximum., who like to enjoy cruising, wine tasting, gastronomy, relaxation.
- Arrival Sunday afternoon, departure the following Saturday morning
- You will be met at the Dijon train station on Sunday at 16:30hrs. At the end of your cruise, the following Saturday after breakfast you will be driven back to the Dijon station or to your hotel in Dijon.
- The idyllic cruise starts near the outskirts of Dijon, during the 6 days you will cruise through approximately 40 locks!
Cruise 2: A 4-night/5-day Cruise for 2-6 guests maximum, who like to enjoy cruising, wine tasting, gastronomy
- Arrival Sunday or Monday, departure the following Thursday or Friday
- Arrival Sunday or Monday afternoon at 14:00hrs at the Dijon train station to depart Thursday or Friday morning before 10:00. Guests will be driven back to the Dijon train station.
- Your cruise route begins on the outskirts of Dijon, in a small village called Fleurey-sur-Ouche (20 minutes drive from the city center of Dijon).
- The cruise finishes in the village of Vandenesse-en-Auxois, below the imposing castle of Chateauneuf-en-Auxois (45kms West of Dijon).
*Please note because of our strict planning, the cruise route might be operated in the opposite direction.
*Note that there is the possibility to organize 5 nights and 6 days half-board cruise, where you will have the opportunity to experience great local restaurants for your 2 lunches and 2 dinners that will be at passenger expense.
Click HERE to view the owner's Terms & Conditions relating to this river cruise.
River trip description
Six Night Cruise On Board a luxury barge, Burgundy Canal Near Dijon
Arrival Sunday afternoon, departure Saturday morning
- Private wine tours on the UNESCO World Heritage wine slopes of Burgundy, visiting wine cellars and estates, wandering through vineyards and tasting a variety of Burgundy’s celebrated wines.
- Our barge travels through the heart of the Burgundian countryside on one of the prettiest parts of the Burgundy Canal
- Whilst cruising, you will have the opportunity to cycle or walk along the tree-lined towpath beside the canal.
- A chauffeur-driven tour of the notably pretty Burgundian wine villages with private wine tastings in cellars, tasting Grand Crus & Première Crus. Max has been organizing wine tours for his guests for many years, and he is welcomed with open arms by the wine-owners everywhere. It is also possible to ship wines home.
- Visit the ancient walled town of Beaune, known as the wine capital of Burgundy, with its magnificent Hotel-Dieu hospice (a 15th-century medieval hospital) and its historic center, where you will find boutiques and antique shops as well as wine and food merchants.
- Visit Dijon and participate in a guided tour of the famous Owls trail. Marvel at the range of building styles, visit the elegant Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy, wander through a colorful morning market, its stalls brimming with fresh produce, tasty cheeses, and the eponymous mustard, and take the opportunity to do a little shopping.
- Visit the Clos de Vougeot, a wall-enclosed vineyard and headquarters of the Chevaliers du Tastevin.
- Visit a 12th-century abbey and a 15th-century medieval village, right beside the canal where we moor up!
- Invitation to dinner in a lovely old château nearby.
- Invitation to a typical Burgundian restaurant on the outskirts of Beaune in a famous wine village for lunch.
- On-board gastronomy: with an emphasis on fresh local produce, sourced each day by the chef, you can be confident of gourmet cuisine. It is also possible to cater for specific dietary requirements including organic products and gluten-free options.
Day 1-Sunday: Arrival onboard, only 10 minutes’ drive from the city of Dijon
- You will be met at the designated meeting point either at Dijon train station or at your hotel in Dijon. You will then be transferred, in the air-conditioned comfort of our minibus, to where the boat is moored.
- The four crew members will be waiting to welcome you warmly aboard with a Burgundy KIR Royal: the perfect start to a unique and memorable few days in Burgundy.
- Your first candlelit dinner will mark your introduction to seasonal, regional specialties and the wines of Captain Max.
- Dinner on board will be prepared with locally sources products, and as some guests like to tell us, better than some Michelin restaurants!
Day 2-Monday: Cruise from Fleurey-sur-Ouche to Gissey-sur-Ouche
- Cruise in the morning and then, after lunch on board our barge, you will be driven by air-conditioned minibus to the Renaissance style Château du Clos de Vougeot. Attracting lovers of history and architecture alike, the château is a unique symbol of Burgundy’s wine history.
- Afterward, you will be driven to the picturesque village of Gevrey Chambertin for a reserved private tasting of its renowned wine.
- It will be time for some cocktails on deck, before the chef prepares you another culinary voyage paired with the local best wines.
Day 3-Thursday: Stay overnight at Gissey-sur-Ouche and more visits
- No cruising today, as you will enjoy a full day’s visit. Starting with two private wine tastings, you will then be invited to lunch in a restaurant in a well-known wine village on the outskirts of Beaune. Here you will taste more wines.
- Afterward, you will visit the celebrated town of Beaune, with its 15th-century medieval hospital, where you will have time to shop and relax.
- You will have told our Bookarivertrip.com agent about your food tastes, and our chef will surprise you tonight again!
Day 4-Wednesday: Cruise from Gissey-sur-Ouche to Pont d’Ouche
- Today is a lazy day for you, cruising and relaxing, whilst enjoying the Captain’s range of wines from his onboard wine cellar and lunching on superb seasonal ingredients.
- Dinner tonight will be reserved for you in a nearby 17th-century castle, built in an old monastery.
Day 5-Thursday: Cruise from Pont d’Ouche to Vandenesse-en-Auxois
- Cruise in the morning, and then, after lunch at around 15:00hrs, visit a medieval village, Châteauneuf-en-Auxois, listed as one of the 'most beautiful villages of France'.
- With a commanding position, high on the hillside, the fortress is one of the last remaining examples of 14th-century Burgundian military architecture. The fortifications were built around the 12th century keep when facing the threat of the Hundred Years’ War.
- Look around the side streets, at the houses with stair turrets and pediments, and it will be easy to imagine the history of this once prosperous village.
- This evening, we will have prepared a selection of must-listen french songs, that you will enjoy while drinking a glass of champagne on deck.
Day 6-Friday: Vandenesse-en-Auxois to Escommes
- Cruise in the morning, and then, after lunch, a drive to a charming little wine-producing family, where a local wine producer will greet you.
- You will continue to learn about the winemaking process and enjoy further tastings of local wines.
- Farewell dinner aboard, meaning the last dinner we share together! Be ready for the last and best of your Burgundian culinary experiences.
Day 7-Saturday: Last morning on board and day of departure
- After breakfast, just before 10:00hrs or earlier if you need, we will drive you back to Dijon train station to catch your train, to your hotel in DIJON or to a car rental agency.
- Our cruises are created so that our guests can immerse themselves in the Burgundian atmosphere and the lifestyle of this beautiful region through bespoke activities and personal cultural experiences, whilst relaxing.
A four-night/five-day cruise onboard Luxury barge for 6 guests who
enjoy cruising, wine tasting, gastronomy
DAY 1-Sunday: Arrival at Dijon and transfer on board your crusing hotel
- Guests are met at the designated meeting point and transferred by air-conditioned minibus to where the barge is moored up. A warm welcome aboard awaits you from the Captain and the Crew with a Burgundy Champagne welcome, once everybody has settled down the cruise begins, this will be a memorable vacation in Burgundy
- Dinner on board will be carefully prepared by our chef and wisely paired with fin wines.
Day 2-Monday: Cruise from Fleury-Sur-Ouche to Gissey-Sur-Ouche
- Cruise in the morning, after lunch, onboard the barge a drive out with the air-conditioned minivan to visit the wine capital of Burgundy, Beaune with its magnificent Hotel Dieu Hospice (medieval hospital) and the historic town center with its boutiques and antique shops. A private wine tasting will be reserved.
- Dinner will be reserved in a one-star nearby Michelin restaurant at the Abbey of La Bussière.
Day 3-Tuesday: Cruise from Gissey-sur-Ouche to Pont-D'Ouche
- After breakfast visits the Capital of Burgundy, Dijon, visit the fresh morning colorful market follow the Owl Trail to the church of Notre Dame, it’s historic buildings, enticing boutiques, including the famous Mustard Shop, lunch on board, cruise and relax in the afternoon.
- Dinner will be reserved at a nearby Chateau, Chateau Sainte Sabine.
Day 4-Wednesday: Cruise from Pont-D'Ouche to Vandenesse-en-Auxois
- Cruise in the morning, afternoon a visit to a medieval village and a private wine tasting.
- Cocktails on deck, the best champagne in your glass and the perfect dished at your table prepared by our chef for an unforgettable dinner.
Day 5-Thursday: You last day onboard and drop off at Dijon
- After breakfast, we will drive you back to the Dijon train station or to your hotel in DIJON, or car rental agency.
25-75% or 50-50% or 100% (read more)
Type of experience
Heating / cooling
Languages spoken onboard
Music-sound system / CD player
Books and magazines
How to get there
Note that we will take care of picking you up once you are in Dijon, and will manage your transports until the end of your stay with us.
Here are the best ways of getting to Dijon:
The train à grande Vitesse (TGV) speeds travelers from Paris (only 100 min) and other major French cities to Dijon. There are also regular train services to a variety of destinations, including, but not restricted to, Italy (Milan, Turin, Florence and Rome among them), Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Belgium.
There is also a special return ticket on the TER from Paris (Train Express Régional) that is slow (3 h) but costs only €18, and lets you spend 24hg in Dijon, including a Saturday night. The train departs from Paris-Bercy on Saturdays at 3.20 pm, arriving in Dijon at 6.14 pm, the return departs from Dijon on Sundays at 7:46 p.m., arriving in Paris-Bercy at 10:44 p.m. You can buy this at station ticket offices in Paris Bercy train station or Paris Gare de Lyon only. Similar trains leave Dijon Saturday morning for Paris and return in the evening.
Dijon Bourgogne Airport ceased operations on 30 June 2016.
From Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (IATA: CDG) there are TGV high-speed train services from the railway station which is adjacent to Terminal 2 (station name: Aéroport Charles de Gaulle 2 TGV or Paris Aéroport Roissy Charles-de-Gaulle when booking online) to Dijon Ville station. The journey time for the direct TGV train is around 2 hours. Alternatively, take bus number 4 operated by Le Bus Direct (one-way ticket: €17 as of 2017) from the airport to Paris Gare de Lyon from which there are frequent TGV trains to Dijon.
From EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg (IATA: BSL) you can take bus number 11 (operated by Distribus)  to Saint-Louis railway station, and then take the train to Dijon (via Mulhouse Ville station). Alternatively, take bus number 50 (departs approx every 10 mins, journey time 20 minutes) to Basel Bahnhof, from which there are TGV high-speed train services to Dijon (journey time around 1.5 hrs for the direct train).
Dole – Jura Airport (IATA: DLE) is served by low-cost carrier Ryanair (flights to/from Fes, Marrakesh, and Porto). Dole is around 30 minutes by train from Dijon. A taxi from Dole railway station to Dole Airport costs around €20 and the journey takes around 15 minutes.
Eurolines connects Dijon to some major European cities, mostly outside of France.
Dijon is well connected to the freeway and highway networks. Note that traffic is limited in the center of the city, so you will probably want to park your car for the duration of your visit, except to access the Well of Moses, which is on the outskirts of the city.
About the area
Dijon is a city in eastern France, capital of the Côte-d'Or département in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region.
The earliest archaeological finds within the city limits of Dijon date to the Neolithic period. Dijon later became a Roman settlement named Divio, located on the road from Lyon to Paris. The province was home to the Dukes of Burgundy from the early 11th until the late 15th centuries and Dijon was a place of tremendous wealth and power, one of the great European centers of art, learning, and science. Population (k within the city limits; 250k (2007) for the greater Dijon area.
The city has retained varied architectural styles from many of the main periods of the past millennium, including Capetian, Gothic and Renaissance. Many still-inhabited townhouses in the city's central district date from the 18th century and earlier. Dijon architecture is distinguished by, among other things, toits bourguignon (Burgundian polychrome roofs) made of tiles glazed in terracotta, green, yellow and black and arranged in geometric patterns.
Dijon holds an International and Gastronomic Fair every year in autumn. With over 500 exhibitors and 200k visitors every year, it is one of the ten most important fairs in France. Dijon is also home, every three years, to the international flower show Florissimo. Dijon is famous for Dijon mustard which originated in 1856, when Jean Naigeon of Dijon substituted verjuice, the acidic "green" juice of not-quite-ripe grapes, for vinegar in the traditional mustard recipe.
The historical centre of the city has been registered since July 4, 2015, as a UNESCO World Heritage site
River trip owner
The owners Bea & Max have 35 years of barging experience behind them, they certainly know where to go and what to do.
After working many years for other companies, 7 years ago they managed to buy their own barge. A complete refit was done inside and outside, now she is one of the prettiest barges cruising on the Canals in France!
They operate direct and offer 2 options
4 nights on board
6 nights on board
prices start from 16 800 euros full board, invited out to 2 nearby Michelin restaurants.
Full experienced English speaking crew on board.
32 Reviews - 4 to 6-night all-inclusive wine tasting cruise through the Burgundy vineyards and villages
Jane & Casey - the United States
many thanks for a wonderful week!
From Iowa to the the barge crew - many thanks for a wonderful week.
The tours and quiet cruising times were just what we liked. Thanks for the extra efforts to take us places new and so interesting.
See you next year.
Howard 92 years old (3rd time onboard)
Don and Joana B
it was a trip of a lifetime for two people who have travelled in many ways, and to many places, in their lives!
Dear Bea and Max,
We want to thank you so very much for the magical week we spent with you, Linzi and Jo, on the barge. I have just reread the letters from other clients and I don’t think I can add anything more original than to say it was a trip of a lifetime for two people who have travelled in many ways, and to many places, in their lives.
Like a walking tour, seeing Burgundy from a slow moving barge allows a traveler to see and experience a beautiful region in an entirely unique way. Time slowed down, observations were sharper, conversations more memorable. As a friend of mine once said, “prends le temps de vivre.” And we did that.
Since Burgundy is the first region where we lived when we first came to France in 1990, it will always occupy a special place in our hearts. You added so much to that special place just by being yourselves, and by serving us wonderful wine and food.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We hope to see you again with other friends and family.
My trip on your barge is now at the top of my Best Ever list!
Dear river cruise Friends, My trip on your barge is now at the top of my Best Ever list! I was very, very spoiled by your attention to my comfort - especially dear Captain Max - TWO trips to Paris just to spare me stairs at the railroad!!
My best wishes to you Bea, as well as Lindzi and Selby. You all made us feel so at home. Many many thanks!
- the United States
It was better than imagined!
Bea and Max,
Thank you so very much for our wonderful vacation! It was better than imagined. We loved every moment and will absolutely recommend you and your barge to all of our friends. We’ll send you some photos shortly.
Meanwhile, should you ever find yourself in our part of the world, please reach out. We’d love to show you some of our favourite places. And of course, we hope you have a great spa vacation.
Norman & Lewis B - England
I really did have such a super time on your barge!
I really did have such a super time on your barge. It was the perfect balance of rest, adventure, food, wine (!) and family. You and Bea are such a great team and Shelby is a super guy. What a lovely life you have!
All the best.