3 to 6-night all-inclusive sparkling and culinary barge cruise through the Champagne vineyards
Château-Thierry to Reims barge cruise. Discover history, culture and sparkling bubbles.
- Your money is safe, we pay your host 2 days after check-in.
- 100% refund in the unlikely event the host cancels.
- Changing booking details is always free.
- Access to urgent phone line during your booking.
- Book Co2 positive, we compensate 3 times more than we emit.
River trip highlights
- Reims Cathedral
- Champagne houses (Taittinger, Castellane, etc)
- Champagne tastings and food pairing
- Belleau Wood and other WW1 memorials
- Epernay, Avenue de Champagne, Unesco heritage
- The confort of a 4 stars hotel while visiting a region
River trip summary
From May till October, our barge sails softly on the rhythm of her unique slow turning engine through the beautiful landscape of the Champagne region.
- With three ensuite bedrooms, cozy dining space and inviting large sundeck, you’ll feel at home away from home in our floating guesthouse. Daily visits to champagne houses, historic places, small villages or famous towns. No cruise is the same, we offer you a personalized experience.
- During the summer season, we offer luxury cruises in France. These cruises are "all-inclusive" : all meals, daily excursions with guide and minibus, entry fees, champagne, and wine tasting, pick-up, and drop-off at central points of hotels in Paris or Reims.
- This is the perfect trip for a family or small group of friends (6 passengers maximum). While we have a standard cruise route, we can adapt the whole trip to your likeliness: spending more time onboard cruising or exploring the area in greater detail by minibus.
- Take your time to relax onboard, enjoying a refreshing drink on the deck while cruising on the River from Paris to Reims. Come and visit Belleau Wood and other WW1 memorials. Let the splendor and magnitude of cathedrals and churches overwhelm you.
- Taste the delicious bubbles of small independent winegrowers as well as those of the famous champagne houses. You 'll enjoy every minute of your holiday. Note that we are here to make the plan fit your envies and desire, feel free to ask our agent about it.
River trip description
This itinerary runs two ways; either we pick you up at Reims (1st day) and drop you off at Chateau-Thierry nearby Paris (7th day); either it is the reverse. Here is the sample itinerary, for more details, ask our Bookarivertrip.com agent about all the questions you might have.
Day-1: Pick up at Reims and arrival onboard
- We will come and pick you up at Reims or Paris meeting point, and drive you back to our mooring spot. Its time for you to discover the barge, settle-in your rooms, and meet your crew. You will have the time to ask all the questions you might still have about the itinerary and your stay.
- For the rest of the day, we can organize an excursion to the Fort de la Pompelle, an evening visit of the famous Reims Cathedral that is illuminated at nights, a walking tour to explore the city's architecture or discover the beautifully restored Villa Demoiselle (only open Saturdays and Sundays).
Day-2: Cruise from Reims to Billy-le-Grand and its Tunnel and vineyard visit
- After breakfast is taken in our large dining room with a view on the surrounding landscapes, our barge will slowly start to make her way towards our next destination, the tunnel of Billy-le-Grand, masterpiece of engineering infrastructure of the 19th century.
- During the cruise, you can decide to cycle along the barge while it navigates, relax in your cabins or on the deck while observing surrounding villages and landscapes, or learn about the art of river navigation. Our captain will be pleased to tell you all he knows about this ancestral know-how.
- Once we have moored, start our afternoon activities. For today, we can decide on vineyard visits on the Reims mountain, or maybe visit the Verzenay lighthouse proudly rising in the middle of the vines.
Day-3: Cruise to Conde-sur-Marne and excursion to the city of Champagnes!
- Today we descend into the Marne valley, going down the 8 locks to Condé-sur-Marne.
- Afternoon excursion to Chalons-en-Champagne.
Day-4: Mooring at Dizy close to Epernay and discover the Champagne history
- Mooring near the capital city of the Champagne region., Epernay.
- Excursion to Hautvillers where Dom Perignon invented the bubbly drink.
- Visit one of the big cellars and also a small champagne house for a personal tasting in a family environment, presenting you with very special wines.
Day-5: Cruise to Dormans and champagne and chocolate discovery
- We finally cruise on the river Marne with the vineyards above us.
- At the foot of the statue of Pope Urbanus II, who called for the first crusade, you have a wonderful view on the river Marne with the Reims mountains in your back.
- Visit of Dom Caudron winery for a delicious Champagne and Chocolate pairing experience.
Day-6: Cruise to Château-Thierry
- We enter the Picardy region, following the meandering Marne to our final destination Chàteau-Thierry. To the West is the American WWI Monument. More to the North is the Belleau Wood memorial site.
- Or you can choose for an excursion to Conde-en-Brie with its historic castle, Halles, church and old washing facilities.
Day-7: Moored at Château-Thierry and drop-off to your next trip
- This is your farewell morning! After breakfast, take some time to enjoy the barge and its views
- It will then be time for us to say bye-bye, and we will drop you off in Reims or Paris.
* Please note that a variety of optional excursions are proposed on this route. See separate page with places to visit on a champagne cruise, ask our Bookarivertrip.com agent for more details.
Check in/out time
Check in between 10:00 and 17:00.
Check out before 11:00.
3 Bedrooms, 6 Sleeps
- Queen size beds: 2
- Twin beds (2 linked single beds): 1
All bedrooms with twin or double bedding, central heating, air conditioning and ensuite bathroom with shower, sink, and toilet.
Type of experience
Rural / countryside
Historic / sightseeing
Gastronomy / foody
Terrace / balcony
Airport collection available
Heating / cooling
Languages spoken onboard
Due to stairs between the decks and gangway to go on land, this ship is not recommended for disabled persons, sorry.
Walking / hiking
Cycling / mountain biking
Dining table & chairs
Bath and body products
Books and magazines
How to get there
- By train: Château-Thierry train station has a direct connection with Paris Gare de l'Est, route Paris - Strasbourg.
- By car: From Paris or Reims on the A4, exit 20 Chateau-Thierry, down to the Marne river. Parking on the street or parking lot near the Post office.
- Pick-up by minibus at your Paris or Reims hotel with our minibus is also possible.
River trip owner
Since 2015, we are offering bespoke cruises in the Champagne area on our ship Johanna. She was converted in 2013 from a cargo vessel to a modern and comfortable 3 bedroom cruise ship.
5 Reviews - 3 to 6-night all-inclusive sparkling and culinary barge cruise through the Champagne vineyards
Didier M - France
There is no such thing as chance in life! Show originalShow original
There is no such thing as chance in life!
What a beautiful meeting!
Patsie and Kris, wonderful hosts and incredible generosity.
Let us now punctuate the future with festive and sparkling moments!
Free translation: There are no coincidences in life! What a beautiful meeting! Patsie and Kris, [are] outstanding hosts with incredible generosity. Let us agree now on a future of festive and sparkling moments! Champagne!
Bob F - the United States
Barge was wonderful!!
Barge was wonderful!! The crew was spectacular, and we all said we would go with them on another (different area) cruise. The ship was very shape and comfortable. We found the A/C in the staterooms very nice. Patsie was a wonderful cook!! Best food on the trip! Breakfast, then cruise in the morning and tie up around lunch. Lunch on board then the van would meet us to take us sightseeing. Back to the boat for a little rest, cocktails and dinner. Very relaxing way to travel. Nice too, because, except for Epernay, the area is not overrun with tourists.
Fred & Lisa - the United States
What a terrific trip!
What a terrific trip, beautifully planned and conducted by warm, professional hosts. Outstanding in all aspects and thank you for the great cuisine.
Grethen - the United States
It's not about the destination, it's all about the journey!
It's not about the destination, it's all about the journey!
Thanks for the delicious, beautiful, inspiring + peaceful adventure!
Gerry and Rayla - the United States
What a wonderful trip.
What a wonderful trip.
Fun seeing France from a barge. Patsie's meals were absolutely wonderful. We want to take her home with us for her healthy ccoking! Comfortable, informal - everything we wanted and more. So glad we experienced this. Thank you for your hospitality.