6-night All-inclusive stunning cruise through Burgundy villages
Discover Burgundy and see la vie en rose while softly cruising aboard our barge
River trip highlights
- Discover the wonders of Burgundy while relaxing
- Enjoy our guide's recommendation for best restaurants
- Discover small villages and their inhabitants
- Cruise along the wildness of the river
- Enjoy a top confort accommodation that follows you
- Prefessional crew
River trip summary
MAIN FEATURES OF OUR CRUISE TOGETHER;
- Burgundy is a particularly rich region, in art, culture, gastronomy, and history! Onboard our barge, you will enjoy all the comfort you need to appreciate this spectacular piece of France, and all the secrets cruising of the rivers gives access to!
- Built-in 1930 in Holland, our barge was used for ferrying grain, stone, wood and other dry cargo in Europe. The barge was laid up in the center of Paris for 17 years, where she was owned and lived by the famous American Actor « Sterling Hayden ».
- Food & Wine on board is a great opportunity for us to share with you our « French Culture » deeply rooted in this « Pleasure of the Table ». You will discover an authentic French Cuisine cooked exclusively with fresh and seasonal ingredients. The wine selection has been carefully done within a large variety of Bourgogne to serve perfectly the dish.
INCLUDED IN THE CRUISE ARE;
- Seven days and six nights on the barge with use of 3 cabins and private bathrooms from 1600hrs Sunday until 0930hrs on the following Saturday.
- Pick up and drop off at Le Creusot train station or at a pre-arranged hotel in or around. Only one pick-up and drop off destination may be chosen for the whole group.
- All meals enjoyed onboard
- All transports to and from restaurants where needed.
- All wines and open bar aboard the barge.
- All escorted excursions included in the program.
- Use of six bicycles (helmets not included)
NOT INCLUDED IN THE CRUISE ARE;
- 4 Meals enjoyed ashore at the restaurant (lunch or dinner) at the customer's expense. (A selection of restaurants is proposed, guests are free to choose)
- Travel costs to and from the agreed meeting point before and after the cruise.
- Travel and cancellation insurance.
*Please note that this barge offers the "Freedom Cruise" formula, that allows for more independence, with less service, at a lower price. Inquiry about that option should be made to link operator
*The charter formula has different prices depending on how many people is the charter booked for 6 ($ 21.735), 5 ($19.950), 4 ($ 18.375) or 2 ($ 15.500) person. To these rates, there is a $ 1.500 single supplement.
Click HERE to view the owner's Terms & Conditions relating to this river cruise.
River trip description
Day 1-SUNDAY: Arrival at Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune and welcome Champagne
- Guests are met at Le Creusot TGV railway station in the afternoon and taken by minibus to the Barge, which is moored on the tranquil Canal du Centre in the pretty village of Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune.
- Champagne Welcome and dinner in the evening gives us the opportunity to chat about the coming week's itinerary, while you gently unwind from your journey.
Day 2-MONDAY: Cruise from Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune to Saint-Léger-sur-Dheune
- The day begins with a cruise to the village of Saint-Léger-sur-Dheune which will be our mooring for the evening. After lunch aboard the barge, we visit by minibus the famous« Château de Couches » known as the « Château de Marguerite de is a magnificent XIIe Century fortress classified to the « Monument Historique » which presents all the different phases of its building from end XIe up to XIXe.
- On the way back to the barge, we will go through the charming 3 villages of « Maranges » and of course, a tasting! We will finish this first day in a local auberge to discover the regional cooking (not included).
Day 3-TUESDAY: We make our way from Saint-Léger-sur-Dheune to Santenay
- We depart Saint-Léger-sur-Dheune for a leisurely cruise to the village of Santenay, which nestles amongst the famous vineyards and preserved landscapes of the Southern Côte de Beaune. This morning we will take the « Route des Grands Crus » from Santenay up to the Village of Pommard.
- Today for lunch, you will discover « Le Cellier Volnaysien » (not included) a restaurant very appreciated by local people, then we depart for the visit of the wonderful Château de Rully. The Chateau de Rully is a medieval fortress built in the 12th century, since the origin, the Chateau has been kept in the same family. The current owner will be your private guide and he will tell you the history of his ancestors. We will finish the tour by a wine tasting in the old kitchen of the Chateau.
- We return to the riverboat for a restful evening and dinner on board.
Day 4-WEDNESDAY: from Santenay to Chagny, more wine
- We start the day with a short cruise to the town of Chagny where we will moor for the evening. After a relaxing breakfast, we depart for the historic town of Beaune, the wine capital of Burgundy.
- Today is the market day and our visit will include the historic (with a private guide) « Hospices de Beaune » and the Hotel Dieu, built in the XVe century. For lunch, we propose the restaurant « Le Conty » (not included) a wonderful dining place with a pleasant cellar atmosphere. We will dedicate the afternoon for a wine tasting at the famous « Patriarche Cellars ».
- These cellars are the longest in Burgundy, and the history of the wine merchant’s is one of the oldest.
- We return aboard through the vineyards for a restful evening and dinner on board.
Day 5-THURSDAY: from Chagny to Fragnes, don't lose a glips of it
- This morning we continue with our cruise towards Fragnes, ideally situated to discover the « Côte Chalonnaise », where we will moor for the evening. In the south of the Côte de Beaune, the Côte Chalonnaise propose ruby-colored red wine and delicate white wine of great renown coming from Pinot Noir, Chardonnay or Aligoté.
- After lunch is taken on board, we have arranged a private tasting at « The Château de Chamirey » in Mercurey. The Devillard family owner of the Château, old acquaintance of the Captain family will give you a warm welcome. After the tasting, you might also wish to enjoy a short drive to discover the magnificent views offered by this region.
- To continue this wonderful evening you will enjoy a dinner taken ashore (not included) in a local auberge or, if you wish a « Gastronomic Experience », you might appreciate the restaurant « Lameloise » the only Michelin 3 stars *** restaurant in Burgundy, an icon of the French cuisine.
Day 6-FRIDAY: last day of the cruise, from Fragnes to Seurre
- This morning we take a short car ride to the town of « Chalon-sur-Saône » (the birthplace of the photography). Chalon has a Cathedral with a lovely square surrounded by medieval buildings.
- As it's the market day today, the square filled with fruit and vegetable stalls and the other streets littered with all sorts of market traders selling a plethora of goods. A real insight into french life.
- We return to the river for lunch and a leisurely cruise to the village of Seurre. This evening your farewell meal starts with cocktails and canapés on the deck overlooking the Saône river.
Day 7-SATURDAY: Departure from Seurre after breakfast and relaxed morning
- After the last breakfast, guests are taken by our private chauffeur to Le Creusot TGV railway station in good time to catch their train.
- Nb: The cruise program has been set-up in order to optimize the mini-bus transit time but the visits during the week can be tailored to the Guest’s wishes.
- Why not a visit of « Dijon » or « Clos-de-Vougeot »…
- Don’t hesitate to contact us with your specific requests!
Number of double beds: 1
Number of sofa beds: 2
Type Of Experience
Heating / Cooling
Languages Spoken Onboard
Dining Table & Chairs
Fully Equipped Kitchen
Microwave / Oven
Bath And Body Products
How to get there
Beaune and its surrounding region is particularly well served, as it’s at the crossroads of the A6, A31 (towards Dijon, then Lille or Nancy) and A38 (towards Besançon, Basel).
By the A6 motorway: Take exit no. 24.0 (Savigny-Lès-Beaune/Beaune-Saint-Nicolas) or exit no. 24.1 (Beaune Centre/Beaune-Hospices).
By high-speed train (TGV)
- 2.15 hr* from Paris (via a connection in Dijon)
- 1.45 hr* from Mulhouse
- 1.40 hr* from Lyon
Chagny SNCF train station: Cour de la Gare - 71150 CHAGNY
Santenay SNCF railway station: - 21590 SANTENAY
Tel: 3635 (timetables, information, sales) or . (Mobigo)
About the area
Beaune, in the heart of Burgundy’s famous vineyards, Pommard, Corton-Charlemagne, Romanée-Conti, Meursault, Santenay and Savigny-les-Beaune bring a twinkle to the eyes of wine lovers; Beaune is famous for the Hospice de Beaune (Hôtel-Dieu). Wine tasting, museums, leisure activities, Wine Auction, cellars, restaurants, hotels, Bed & Breakfast, holiday rental: online booking. All along the Route des Grands Crus, discover Savigny-les-Beaune, Meursault, Santenay, Nolay, and Chagny. Amazing Burgundy !
River trip owner
I discovered Burgundy 30 years ago when I met my wife originating from Mercurey, famous vineyard of the « Côte Chalonnaise », and my passion for the wine started from that time. Since years this wine interest never stopped and it would be a pure pleasure to share this passion with you.
3 Reviews - 6-night All-inclusive stunning cruise through Burgundy villages
Nicole and Carls - Australia
Fantastic ! Show original
We have very much enjoyed our week of canal and river cruising on the barge. We had some fabulous food, cheese and wine and learnt a lot about the wine of the area and some history of Bourgogne ! The rest of the time we relaxed soothed by the slow smooth feeling of the barge travelling along. Fantastique ! Merci Alex.
Adrian - New Zealand
We loved Carls excellent meals due for some Michelin Stars !
We enjoyed Alex's captaining of the barge and the great vineyards, castles that he took us to. We appreciated Nicole's care, her cups of tea and wealth of knowledge of Burgundy. We loved Carls excellent meals due for some Michelin Stars !
Marcia - New Zealand
It exceeded my expectations
Thank you to Alex, Nicole and Carls for an excellent trip. It exceeded my expectations. I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves French food, wine and culture and wants a relaxed barge holiday.