6-nights all-inclusive large group cruise on the Rhone River through Provence and Camargue
Cruise from Avignon to Aigues-Mortes on the Rhone river and discover wine, food and history
River trip highlights
- Visit the amazing cities of Avignons, Arles, and Aigues
- Decide on cruise type; golf, food, nike or 100% custom
- Enjoy large double cabins and extensive sun deck
- Talk with our 100% french but trilingual crew
- Discover the local Roman history and impact
- Enjoy our stared chef fine cuisine and learn some of it
River trip summary
WHAT WE WILL DO TOGETHER ;
- Our purpose-built barge can accommodate up to 18 passengers in a luxurious and cozy environment. This cruise on the Rhone river will make you discover two french historical regions; the Provence and Camargue; in an original and intimate way.
- The boat will be yours only, and you will enjoy 24/7 onboard service that will be personalized to meet your wishes. Our chef will delight you with Provence inspired gastronomic cuisine.
WHY CRUISE WITH US ;
- We started in 2002, and since then, our river trip is the leader in luxury barge cruising in the Provence and Camargue regions, a place that Romans used to qualify as "blessed by the gods".
- Surprise and originality will be our master words during this experience, as you softly cruise and discover a region with thousand subtilities. From when you book, to when we drop you off the last day, we are here to help to organize your own journey!
- You will even be able to extend your stay, by adding other destinations. As our price reflects an "All Inclusive" offer, there will be no surprise budget-wise. Its all included! Quite simple!
WHAT WE WILL DO DURING THE WEEK ;
- We developed our cruise programs aiming at proposing you a wide variety of activities; monuments, historic sites, most visited places; all of them being tourist highlights of the area and best representing Provence and Camargue.
- Every visit will be an exploration of the culture and of the tradition of french heritage. There will always be someone from the crew accompanying you during your visits, in order to make sure you get the best out of them!
- It will be a mix of relaxing on deck, enjoying meals cooked by our chef, cruise, visits, guided tour, free time, shopping, and much more.
OUR FRENCH TOUCH ;
- To make sure you truly discover France, its culture and its people, your crew will be of French nationality! Not another attraction designed for tourists and ran by foreigners, but a concept developed by me and my family, and run by our fixed team, who speak many languages, but will know how to communicate their passion for the region.
- Our chef was trained in Paris and in some of the region's stared restaurants, so he offers a gourmet and inventive cuisine that never repeat itself. He will even invite you to cook if you wish so, and will share with you his knowledge and give you some advice and some of his "secrets de chef".
ORGANIZATION AND WELCOMING ;
- Particular attention will be brought to your comfort and your expectations! With up to 18 passengers for 6 crew members, we are very flexible and can customize our service to fit your envies.
- The luxurious comfort of our interior woodworks associated with the warm colors of this southern part of Europe will allow you to enter a natural atmosphere of wellness.
- We will also help you to check all the arrival and departure details, so it all goes as smoothly as possible. And you know what, the owner will be on board every day to make sure all your envies are met!
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE ;
- 7 days and 6 nights on the barge in cabins with private bath
- Transfers from Avignon or Nîmes to the barge and return
- All meals beginning with dinner on Sunday, through breakfast on Saturday
- All wines with lunches and dinners
- Open bar with Champagne
- All escorted side-excursions with entrance fees
- Use of bicycles
- free Wifi
- personalized concierge service
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN OUR PRICE ;
- Overseas air transportation to Paris and return
- Transportation from Paris to Nîmes/Avignon and return
- Optional gratuity for the crew; we suggest a minimum of 5 % to be given to the manager inequivalent euros
- Laundry of personal clothes
River trip description
Day 1-Sunday: Day of arrival, the discovery of your barge and dinner with a view on Avignon
- A driver will be meeting you at the Avignon train station to transfer you to the barge which is moored with a direct view of the famous "Pont d'Avignon". After our crew has taken care of your luggage and help you settle in your cabins, you will be walked around, and will discover the history of your ship!
- The owner will be waiting for you on the sun deck to introduce you to the crew! A welcome drink will be served and it will be the perfect moment to discuss the program of the week, get to know the safety rules, relax and learn about how the barge works.
- During sunset, dinner will be served and it will be your first floating experience of wine pairings. After dinner, we recommend a walk through the magnificent city of Avignon (center is 5 minutes by walk). You can also decide to enjoy the sun deck. Maybe your cruise will fall during the theatre festival, and in that case, it will be the perfect occasion to see a few plays and enjoy the unique ambiance.
Day 2-Monday: Avignon guided tour, have lunch while cruising and winemaking visit
- After breakfast, we will accompany you to the historical and marvelous Pope’s Palace for a cultural guided tour of 2 hours that will transport you back in time when the city was a political and religious hub. You will then have some free time to visit the city, discover local shops and boutiques, and stroll through the old streets of the historical center.
- Then it is back on board for an amazing lunch while we navigate to Villeneuve-Les-Avignon! There, we stop at the Philippe Le Bel Tower which is the last piece of a fortress built at the end of the 13th century which task was to control the entrance of the "Pont d’Avignon" leaning both banks of the Rhone River.
- We then drive to the Domaine de Beaurenard wine, known as the Châteauneuf du Pape appellation. Owned by the Coulon family for 7 generations, a visit and tasting will be organized so you discover local wines, full of character and elegance. You will have the opportunity to buy wine directly at the property, and anyway, these wines will complement one of your week's dinner.
- Back on board, our bartender will be delighted to welcome you for a drink on the sun deck. Dinner and overnight in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon, always with the freedom of nocturnal walk, and evening activities of your choice.
Day 3-Tuesday: Reach the top of the aqueduct and cruise to Aramon village
- This morning, you will be taken to one of the most popular cultural sites in France; The Pont du Gard, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is an impressive bridge-aqueduct built by the Romans in the 1st century of our era. It is the highest Roman aqueduct bridge in the world (49 meters!). You will be taken to the top by our guide and will enjoy an incredible and unique view of the valley.
- We then visit the museum, which will enchant you with its very visual explanations, being the largest interpretation center in France on the Romans. You will learn its history through models, virtual reconstructions, soundscapes and more.
- The boat will be waiting for you for the next lunch-cruise towards the village of Aramon, or stop for the evening. This village spreads around its castle built on a rocky outcrop, with its port reaching its peak in the 17th century.
- From there, oil, wine, salt, cereals went to the whole of France. Historically known for its wickerwork workshops, it has retained until today its agricultural activities: fruit growing, the culture of the vineyard and olive trees. You will see many homes from the 15th to the 18th centuries.
Day 4-Wednesday: Visit Les Beaux de Provence and reach Arles through the Beaucaire lock
- Morning departure to the village of Les Baux de Provence for a guided tour! Rich in history, it is in the top 10 most beautiful villages in France. It is unique because quite magical and eminent in this extraordinary setting. The very essence that makes the appeal and the ambiance so special of Provencal villages will be found there; small squares, shaded terraces, narrow streets, and their shops.
- Then its lunch navigation, with the passage of the impressive Beaucaire lock which measures 180 meters long and 12 meters wide, and has an impressive 15 meters waterfall. In the late afternoon, we stop in the city of Arles, our stop for the evening.
- We will be moored at the Lamartine dock, 5 minutes walk from the Roman Arena and the town center. Walk-in town, visit the handicraft shops, pedestrian streets or take a refreshing drink at the famous Van Gogh café.
- Maybe you will want to play the regional famous game of “petanque” under the shade of plane trees just in front of the mooring. You can throw a challenge to some members of the crew, who are real experts of this very popular game, across all generations.
Day 5-Thursday: Visit Arles, discover its history, and enter the Camargue region
- Your guide will pick you up to discover the historical side of the city. He will evoke various periods of the history of Arles, from the Roman time till the Renaissance, through Catholicism with St. Trophime Cathedral and talk about Vincent Van Gogh's impact.
- We will then sail up the Rhone River and take the little Rhone River through the lock of Saint Gilles and navigate the world-famous Canal de Provence.
- We will stop for the night at the port of Gallician, a little village located at the heart of the Camargue region. You can go for a bike ride or walk along the former canal towing paths
Day 6-Friday: Visit a bull breeding farm, understand its races and cruise to Aigues-Mortes
- This morning, its the immersion in the heart of the bulls breeders local traditions. We will visit one of the most beautiful and titled "Manade" (ranch) of Camargue; Les Marquises, a property of the Laurent family since the late 1940s.
- They will help you discover and understand the breeding of bulls for Camargue bull races, Camargue horses and all the know-how that exist around this traditional sport. It will be a true immersion in the authenticity of this region of France which is also a protected natural park. It is in the midst of bulls and guardians that you will be explained the breeding of bulls and the rules of the races.
- After a local appetizer, we will return on board for lunch while cruising to the town of Aigues-Mortes, a medieval fortified city of the 14th century emerging from the sands.
- The city is touristy during peak season, but stunningly beautiful! As it is almost entirely pedestrian, the best thing to do is to wander around. It will also be time for our weekend gala dinner, that we will organize according to your preferences!
Day 7-Saturday: Last day onboard (or maybe not!) and drop off after breakfast
- This morning after breakfast, it will be time to say goodbye. You will be transferred to the Nimes train station from 9 am, or to another destination depending on our agreement.
Type of experience
Heating / cooling
Languages spoken onboard
TV / DVD / movies available
Music-sound system / CD player
Books and magazines
Binoculars for animal watching
How to get there
By car, Avignon is close to two highways;
- the A7 autoroute (E714) is a north-south axis on which there are two exits.
- the A9 autoroute (E15) which branches from the A7 near Orange along a north-east south-west axis towards Spain.
- The city has nine paid parking buildings with a total of 7,100 parking spaces, parking buildings under surveillance with a capacity for 2,050 cars with a free shuttle to the city center, as well as five other free parking areas with a capacity of 900 cars.
By Train, you can reach it by railways;
- Avignon is served by two railway stations: the historic train station built in 1860, the Gare d'Avignon-Centre, located just outside the city walls, which can accommodate any type of train.
- Since 2001, the Gare d'Avignon TGV in the "Courtine" district south of the city, on the LGV Méditerranée line. Since December 2013 the two stations have been connected by a link line – the Virgule.
- The Montfavet district, which was formerly a separate commune, also has a station.
By plane, the following airports;
- The Avignon - Caumont Airport on the south-eastern commune border has several international routes to England.
- The major airport in the region with domestic and international scheduled passenger service is the Marseille Provence Airport.
About the area
PROVENCE AND CAMARGUE REGIONS ;
Provence is one of the world’s leading destinations. The wealth of its heritage, a witness of 26 Centuries of history is combined with the diversity of its exceptional natural sites. The region crossed by the powerful Rhone river and the Rhone canal in Sète is delivered with charm and authenticity.
You will be seduced by the diversity and contrast of the landscapes encountered. It is an area steeped in history, customs, traditions, gastronomy.
- Vineyards that extends from the Rhone coast to the wine of sands, whose great wines have largely crossed our borders.
- Olive groves symbol of peace and wisdom; the olive tree has shaped here the landscape but also the identity of the region.
- Diversity of landscapes that Van Gogh and Cézanne have immortalized.
- Cities of art and history that invite you on a journey back in time: Arles, Les Baux de Provence, Avignon, classified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO
- Camargue, troubling by its landscapes, kingdom of birds, bulls and wild horses. One of the largest nature reserve in France, land of charm and mystery. T
- Regional Natural Park of Camargue is located on the edge of the Mediterranean, inside the delta of the Rhone, mainly between the two arms of the river. It covers 3 communes: part of the municipality of Arles and Port-Saint-Louis-du-Rhone and all the commune of Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer.
- Markets with intoxicating perfumes, local products of exception, Provençal gastronomy that inspires the greatest starred chefs.
River trip owner
Since 2002, our cruising company is the leader of luxury barge cruises in Provence and Camargue, " a region blessed by the gods ". Our barge proposes you a river experience where the surprise and the originality are always there and you made discover a region with thousand nuances.
We are your unique contact for all the organization of your cruise, the various inclusive excursions and your transfers the first and the last day. We propose you our help to organize your journey to join us and if need to extend your stay with other destinations. Your budget is fully controled with our offers "all inclusive" and our very attractive prices, so no surprise.
You will receive only one invoice and your travel documents summarise all the information.
17 Reviews - 6-nights all-inclusive large group cruise on the Rhone River through Provence and Camargue
Meredith and Paul L - the United States
What a fabulous trip this has been! First rate crew, excellent chef, and wonderful guide (Laurent, Alessandra, Lauren, Nicolas & Bertrand plus the sweet captain Josie and his mate. A real highlight was our tour of the ranch with the bulls and horses of Camargue. Loved spending time with a great group of friends in such a splendid place! A huge thank you to all who worked so hard to make this the special experience it has been. Affectionated.
Marge + John S - the United States
Please find us in Californa so that we can repay your kindness! We enjoyed the boat and the crew as much as the beautiful French sights. Merci. Gracias. Thank you.
Michel - the United States
a great cruise on the Rhone. It was hard but we survived – eating three time a wonderful meal!! Thanks to the crew, chef was outstanding and “tres Mignon” – 18 Oklahoma City travelers - Wine Snob Society 2019
Olyre - England
John and Charlotte Picett - the United States
“Fab” week all around! We have not changed our minds about barges… This is our favorite mode of travel for seeing the country with people who know what we need to know! What fan! Thank you all so very much! Food – wine – staff – all wonderful!